VILNIUS – Lithuania's Ministry of Foreign Affairs says it cannot confirm publicly circulating information about a cyber attack, therefore, cannot comment on it.
"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs cannot confirm the information in the public space, therefore, will not comment," the ministry said in a statement released on Thursday.
Earlier in the day, the lrt.lt and delfi.lt news websites reported that hackers claim in forums to have carried out a cyber attack against Lithuania's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and stolen the ministry's some 1.5 million pieces of correspondence with embassies in foreign countries, NATO partners, with some documents marked as classified.
"We view this as an information attack by non-friendly countries," the ministry said in response to the circulating information.
Hackers says Lithuanian diplomats' correspondence disclosed the United States' secrets they kept from Europe, mainly regarding Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline. Moreover, the letters also discussed ties with Belarus and China.
According to lrt.lt, one forum user claims the documents include discussions on "preparation for war with Belarus", including "nuclear strikes".