RIGA - The Riga City Vidzeme District Court sentenced a man to one year in prison for making a hoax bomb threat in May. The man allegedly called officials at the World Ice-Hockey Championships, which took place in Riga last May, warning that a bomb had been placed in one of the championships' venues.
Kaspars Ribens, 26, was arrested immediately after the hearing and was additionally sentenced to 120 hours of community service. He has no previous record.
The full text of the court's judegement will be available this week, and the plaintiff can appeal to the Riga Regional Court within 10 days.
On May 12 Ribbens used his mobile phone to call the National Fire and Rescue Service, warning that a bomb had been placed at one of the championship's ice arenas. As a result, bomb squad members had to search both of the ice arenas used to host the games.
The defendant admitted his guilt during the hearing and said he made the hoax because he "just wanted to have fun."
Ribbens has been charged with making a knowingly untrue call about an explosive device placed in a public location. Under Criminal Law, this kind of offense can lead to five years' imprisonment.
The court said that, so far, it had not received an application for reimbursement of damages. A hoax bomb call costs the state at least 500 lats (700 euros) in expenses by responsible emergency services.