Finland is the world's fifth gambling economy despite having a population of only 5.5 million and housing only two land-based casinos. With the government owned Veikkaus being granted the monopoly in Finland, the gaming industry in this country has since faced many hurdles.
However, technology has completely transformed the gambling landscape and many Finnish players are embracing it by gambling online. In fact, today, many players can now play games at offshore sites that are licensed by Estonia, thanks to the EU intervention.
Read on to find out more about why many Finns are choosing Estonia-licensed casinos.
The current state of gambling in Finland
Many Finns have increasingly shown interest in online casinos rather than old-fashioned brick-and-mortar venues. And with the internet being a gateway to casinos around the globe, the government has been working on setting laws that'll control how players access their preferred markets.
The latest control measure is the 2022 Lottery act, which aims to maintain the country's system of monopoly gambling and bring down problem behaviors caused by gambling.
However, the EU has addressed the country's authorities, mentioning that such policies are forms of protectionism. Consequently, Finland authorities are yet to block offshore gambling firms.
Advantages of Estonia-licensed casinos to Finnish players
So why are Finnish players turning to casinos operating with Estonian gambling license? We asked the team at Turvallisetkasinot.com, a leading informational website on Finnish online casinos.
Among the numerous reasons why Fins choose online casinos with Estonian licenses, they highlighted the most significant factors:
1. Online casinos licensed by the Estonian Tax and Customs Board (EMTA) offer a greater selection of games than the local monopoly.
2. The EMTA-licensed casinos offer bonuses while those run by the country's government do not.
3. EMTA-licensed casinos offer more betting options than Veikkaus Oy-run casinos.
4. The EU protects Estonia-licensed casinos, unlike other offshore casinos, purporting to accept Finnish players. Therefore, it's completely legal and a good option for players.
5. Winnings from Estonia-licensed online casinos are tax-free since it is part of the European Economic Area.
The best casino bonuses for Finnish players
Casino bonuses add thrill to online casino gaming and increase the chances of making payouts. Notably, Estonia-licensed casinos, unlike Veikkaus (the local monopoly), offer a variety of bonuses to both new and existing players.
Here are some of the most common bonuses players can find in EMTA-licensed casinos in Finland.
1. Sign-up bonus — Also known as welcome bonuses, sign-up bonuses are those offered to newcomers once they create an account with a casino. They come in different forms, including deposit and no-deposit bonuses.
2. Free spins — This is the most popular bonus among EMTA-licensed casinos with which players can play various slot games for a certain number of times for free. They are mostly offered as stand-alone, or in combination with other bonuses at registration.
3. No-deposit bonus — As the name suggests, this is a bonus type where players don't have to deposit any amount of money. They only need to register an account and the bonuses will be awarded.
How to choose a good EMTA-licensed casino in Finland
As one of the most fascinating casino markets in Europe, the Finnish gambling market attracts many casino operators – as you can see from this list.
However, because of the numerous casinos available, players may find it difficult to choose the most reputable one.
Luckily, there are various performance metrics you can use to assess and determine whether a casino is worth trying out.
Some of these metrics include:
- Customer support — Good customer support is a prerequisite for seamless online casino gaming. A great EMTA-licensed casino is one that offers friendly, responsive, and professional customer support 24/7.
- Reputation and game providers — Any online casino business requires a strong reputation to succeed because of the fierce competition. A reputable brand is one that's stable and can be trusted. Therefore, it's important that players search for the company behind a casino and see their reviews before signing up.
- Deposit and withdrawal options — Since online gaming is considered an immediate need, a good casino should offer hassle-free deposit and withdrawal methods. The best casinos offer instant deposits and fast withdrawals through an array of payment options.
The bottom line
Despite its small population, Finland is among the leading casino markets worldwide. The market comprises brick-and-mortar casinos and online casinos.
But the online gambling landscape faces a number of challenges as the government wants the industry to remain a monopoly. Luckily, there's backing from the EU and players can enjoy a variety of trustworthy and reliable EMTA-licensed casinos.
They offer attractive and tax-free bonuses, a variety of games, and are safe offshore EMTA-licensed casinos.