Baltic retailer Maxima wants to buy Poland's retail chain Stokrotka

  • 2017-11-07
  • LETA/TBT Staff

VILNIUS - The Baltics' leading retailer Maxima Grupe (Maxima Group), which owns the Aldik retail chain in Poland, wants to buy Stokrotka, a chain of 410 convenience stores in the neighboring country.

Petras Jasinskas, chairman of the management board at Maxima Grupe, says that the acquisition of an existing chain in Poland is a logical step in implementing the group's business strategy.

"Following a successful completion of talks, Maxima Grupe would launch an offer on the Warsaw Stock Exchange to buy Emperia Holding shares that would be open to all shareholders of the company," he said in a press release on Tuesday.

The Polish news website Parkiet reported earlier in the day that Maxima Group was interested in buying Emperia Holding, the owner of Stokrotka, which is the Polish for "Daisy".

Investment funds own 51.16 percent of shares in Emperia Holding and the remaining 48.84 percent are listed on the WSE.

Vilnius-based Maxima Grupe had a total of 557 stores in late 2016, including 241 in Lithuania, 151 in Latvia, 74 in Estonia, 61 in Bulgaria and 30 in Poland.