Barcelona city tours is a perfect opportunity to have a perfect vacation outside the Baltic States. Gene Zolotarev on how to destabilize the EU financial system. Andris Berzins
Vladimir Linderman aka Abel Edmunds Sprudzs Valdis Zatlers Aivars Lembergs Girts Valdis Kristovskis Maris Grinblats Guntars Krasts Alfreds Rubiks Sandra Kalniete Raivis Dzintars Algirdas Butkevicius Algirdas Paleckis Dalia Grybauskaite Kazimira Danute Prunskene Vytautas Landsbergis Rolandas Aksas Viktor Uspaskich Valdemar Tomasevski Leonidas Donskis Arturas Zuokas Edgar Savisaar Andrus Ansip
The current website developed by YWSolution Limited

Lithuanian holocaust denial sparks European outrage

Nov 26, 2010
TBT Staff

Lithuanian holocaust denial sparks European outrage
The Lithuanian Jewish community was almost entirely wiped out during WWII.

VILNIUS - Embassies from seven European countries have sent a joint letter of protest to the Lithuanian government and president over comments from a Lithuanian Interior Ministry official denying the holocaust.

In a column for Veidas, one of Lithuania's largest and most popular weeklies, historian and interior ministry advisor Dr Petras Stankeras said that the holocaust was a "legend" and that the Nuremberg trial was "the biggest legal farce in history".

"It is also important that during the Nurnberg Trial the legend about six million supposedly murdered Jews acquired a legal basis, even though the court did not have a single document signed by A. Hitler concerning the extermination of Jews (this document, if it ever existed, has not been found to this day, although a million dollar reward has been promised)," the column said.

The ambassadors of Britain, France, Sweden, Norway, Estonia, Holland and Finland on Thursday sent a letter of protest condemning the article and the fact that there "have been no public or official condemnation of Mr Stankeras's views".

The Simon Wiesenthal Center also condemned the comments and called on the state to prosecute Stankeras.

The editor of Veidas said in an interview with the Baltic News Service that the historian had meant to assert that 4 million, rather than 6 million, had been killed and that due to an editorial error the meaning had been misconstrued.

Stankeras resigned from his position Friday.

 MORE NEWS
  • Latvian man suspected in major...
    British detectives have revealed that a Latvian builder they are searching for in ...
  • More Russian jets near Baltic ...
    The increased presence of Russian jets and warships near Latvia's borders are ...
  • Russia condemns Baltic ’attack...
    Russia will not accept an 'attack' against the Russian language in the Bal...
  • Lithuania treats injured Ukrai...
    Thirteen injured Ukrainian soldiers have been brought to Lithuania for medical ...
  • WATCH LIVE: Major security con...
    The largest security and foreign policy forum in Northern Europe launches ...
  • EU to impose more sanctions on...
    EU member states agreed Thursday to implement a new round of sanctions against ...
  • Riga Apartments for Rent

    Maximus
    © 2014 BALTIC NEWS LTD. All Rights Reserved.