RIGA - So far, the Latvian services have not received any information about any Latvian nationals injured in the earthquakes in Japan on Monday, the Foreign Ministry told LETA.
One person contacted the Consular Department of the Ministry and informed that they were in the danger zone at the time of the earthquake and were currently on their way to a safer place. No other calls or requests for assistance have been received.
The death toll from Monday's earthquakes in Japan has risen to at least 48 people, local authorities said on Tuesday.
Japanese media report tens of thousands of destroyed homes and vehicles. In some areas, authorities have urged people not to stay in their homes because of the impossibility of immediately assessing the damage and the possibility of another strong earthquake.
The highest number of casualties has been recorded in Ishikawa Prefecture.
The Japan Meteorological Agency said on Tuesday that 155 earthquakes had been recorded in the country since Monday, with the strongest measuring 7.6 and six magnitudes. Most of the earthquakes were at least magnitude three. Although the intensity of the earthquakes has gradually decreased, six strong earthquakes were also recorded on Tuesday.
The earthquakes in Wajima triggered tsunami waves about 1.2 meters high, while waves less than 1 meter high were recorded elsewhere, according to the Japan Meteorological Agency. Dozens of buildings collapsed and thousands of households were left without electricity. Rail traffic was suspended and several highways were closed in the quake-hit region. Mobile phone communications were also disrupted and water pipes burst. Air traffic was also disrupted.