Drone that entered Latvian territory on Friday came from Belarus - Melnis

  • 2026-08-17
  • LETA/TBT Staff

RIGA - The drone that entered Latvian airspace on Friday came from Belarus, Defense Minister Raivis Melnis said in an interview on Latvian Television this morning.

The country of origin of the drone is still being determined.

The minister confirmed that any drones entering Latvian airspace will be shot down.

Melnis previously said that the decision to shoot down the drone was made to prevent it from harming Latvian residents.

As reported, early Friday morning, allied fighter jets shot down a drone entering Latvian airspace near Lake Bozeva, which is located about five kilometers from the center of Rugaji village in Balvi Municipality, Sandra Kapteine, head of the Rugaji Municipal Administration, told LETA.

She emphasized that the drone was shot down in a forested area and that no residents or property were harmed.

The drone was safely neutralized by National Armed Forces specialists over the weekend.

According to currently available information, the drone entered Latvian airspace as a result of electromagnetic warfare conducted by Russia.