December 16, 2022 – January 8, 2023
This Christmas season the Zuzeum Art Centre is holding the second edition of the Zandele art market with more than 1,000 works by Latvian artists – paintings, graphics, decorative arts, posters, porcelain, exhibition catalogues and books from the Zuzāns collection.
Contemporary art fairs are becoming more popular all around the world as a way to promote accessibility to art. Zandele is conceived as a way to spark more interest and insight into Latvian art and serve as the first step in the creation of private collections. Our goal is to make art accessible to everyone. The prices of the works of art available for purchase will range from ten to several thousand euros.
Visitors will be encouraged to attend more than once, since the artworks offered for sale during Zandele will be regularly updated. Zuzeum employees will be on hand to provide additional information as well as ensure the careful packaging of purchased artworks.
- On the weekends younger visitors can participate in artistic workshops. Schedule and ticket information available here: www.zuzeum.com
- To book a personal tour of Zandele, please write to [email protected] or call +371 28 385 748
Ticket price – EUR 5 (re-entry free of charge with presentation of the first entrance coupon)
Information about Zandele's offerings
Works by Latvian masters such as:
- Augusts Annuss, Ansis Artums, Aleksandra Beļcova, Jānis Cielavs, Jānis Jaunsudrabiņš, Ludolfs Liberts (scenography works), Eduards Kalniņš, Nikolajs Kūlainis, Kārlis Miesnieks (representative of realism painting), Oto Pladers, Jānis Tīdemanis.
Paintings by the generation of artists who worked in the 1950s, such as:
- Biruta Baumane, Auseklis Baušķenieks (witty synthesizer of critical realism and surrealism), Valdis Bušs, Edvards Grūbe, Edgars Iltners, Mauriņš Leonīds, Vilis Ozols, Jānis Pauļuks, Indulis Zariņš, Klēbahs Henrijs, Džemma Skulme and others.
Artworks by contemporary artists of different generations, such as:
- Normunds Brasliņš, Helēna Heinrihsone, Biruta Delle, Juris Dimiters, Ritums Ivanovs, Dace Lielā, Aleksejs Naumovs, Līga Purmale, Rasa Jansone, Atis Jākobsons, Ronalds Rusmanis, Auce Biele, Miķelis Fišers.
The largest selection of works by one artist will be by the master of tonal painting, Jānis Osis (1926-1991) — landscapes, coastal views of fishing villages, as well as sketches and renderings of compositions of figures and objects.
Graphics and printing
Latvian art from the first half of the 20th century by:
- Ādolfs Leijava, Kārlis Brencēns, Ģederts Eliass, Gustavs Šķilters, Jānis Tīdemanis, Jānis Osis, Aleksandra Beļcova, Oto Skulme, Konrāds Ubāns, Hilda Vīka.
Works by artists who worked in the second half of 20th century and 21st century:
- Dzidra Ezergaile, Leonīds Mauriņš, Miervaldis Polis, Līga Purmale, Lilija Dinere, Vineta Kaulača, Vilnis Zābers, Māris Ārgalis.
Art outsiders and dissidents will also be available in Zandele:
- Vladimirs Glušenkovs (1948-2009) is a little-studied artist who has only recently been discovered and appreciated. His early interests in art were related to surrealist methodology, but later he moved to pop art and finally decorative ornamentation.
- Visvaldis Ziediņš (1942–2007) worked in all the figurative modern art movements of the 20th century during the Soviet period. Since it was strictly forbidden, he kept most of his works secret and is a “new” player on the Latvian art scene.