DAUGAVPILS - A fire that broke out in the eastern Latvian city of Daugavpils last night [March 29] killed two children, and three other people sustained injuries in the blaze.
According to the Latvian Fire and Rescue Service, children who died in the fire in an apartment house were a 9 year-old boy and a 7 year-old girl. A 37 year-old woman and a 42 year-old man were admitted to hospital with burns, while a 15 year-old girl was treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire service was alerted to the fire accident at 11.31 p.m. on March 29.
Inga Vetere, a representative of the Fire and Rescue Service, told BNS that the two possible causes of the fire might be careless dealing with fire or faulty electric wiring.
Inguna Dunda, a representative of the Daugavpils police administration, said all the victims of the fire accident belonged to a single family with an alcohol abuse. The 42 year-old father of the family had consumed alcohol before the blaze broke out in the flat.
The family is thought to be socially disadvantageous.
Police have launched a criminal procedure over offenses against property.