If Iraqi government does not decline invitation, Latvian soldiers could continue to participate in training mission in this country - Karins

  • 2020-01-08
  • LETA/TBT Staff

RIGA - If the Iraqi government does not decline its invitation, Latvian soldiers could continue to participate in the training of Iraqi soldiers in this country, Prime Minister Krisjanis Karins told Latvian Television this morning.

Karins emphasized that Latvian soldiers in Iraq are there by an invitation of the Iraqi government to participate in the mission to fight Daesh. If these circumstances - the invitation from Iraq - remain unchanged, Karins thinks Latvian soldiers could continue their mission, but if the Iraqi government accepts a parliamentary resolution calling for the withdrawal of NATO troops, Latvia will leave the country.

The Latvian politician said that the current security situation in Iraq is "a question mark" and no one knows how the situation will develop, nor can he decide the Iraqi government's position on foreign troops in the country.

As reported, Iran fired missiles Wednesday at Iraqi bases housing the US military, officials in Washington and Tehran said, in the first act of the Islamic republic's promised revenge for the US killing of a top Iranian general, the AFP news agency reports. 

The Pentagon said it was still "working on initial battle damage assessments" after "Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against US military and coalition forces in Iraq."

"It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel" at Ain al-Asad and Arbil, the Pentagon said.

There were no immediate reports on casualties. The Pentagon said the facilities had been on "high alert" after days of steadily mounting tension and exchanges of threats of war.

Meanwhile, Latvian Defense Ministry spokesman Kaspars Galkins told Latvian Television this morning that one of the bases hit by Iran houses Latvian soldiers, but they have not been hurt and are currently safe. Galkins said that those serving at the base were informed of such an attack and were prepared.