TALLINN - Estonia calls for a full nation-wide cease-fire in Syria and the renewal of cross-border aid, according to Estonian Minister of Foreign Affairs Eva-Maria Liimets.
Liimets participated in a high-level video sitting of the United Nations Security Council on the humanitarian situation in Syria led by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, spokespeople for the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
"Estonia calls for a full nation-wide cease-fire in Syria. We condemn last week's strikes of the Syrian regime and Russia in northwest Syria, especially an attack on a hospital near Aleppo -- it is a serious violation of the international humanitarian law," Liimets said.
The Estonian foreign minister said that Estonia joins other Security Council members in calling for the renewal of cross-border aid this July. This vital assistance must continue, especially during the pandemic. Further limiting access would have catastrophic consequences to millions of people, including children in Syria, she said.
"Estonia has contributed financially to the humanitarian relief since the start of the crisis. And tomorrow, at the Fifth Brussels Conference, I will pledge additional funding to alleviate the human suffering of Syrian people," she said.
The minister extended her gratitude to humanitarian workers on the frontlines in Syria, who continue to provide aid to millions of people.
Head of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Mark Lowcock, Executive Director of UNICEF Henrietta Fore and representative of the Al Amal Fund Amani Ballour also took the floor at the sitting.
In addition to Estonia, the meeting was also attended at the foreign minister's level by the United Kingdom, Norway, Ireland and Tunisia. Russia was represented by deputy foreign minister Sergey Vershinin.
The Estonian foreign minister is to take part in the Fifth Brussels Conference on "Supporting the future of Syria and the region" via a video link on Tuesday.