TALLINN – According to an estimate by the police, up to 5,000 people went to the Bronze Soldier monument on Saturday, which is about eight times less than on May 9 of last year, spokespeople for the city government said.
It is estimated that last year, approximately 40,000 people visited the cemetery of the defense forces in Tallinn during May 9.
On Saturday, an estimated up to 5,000 people visited the cemetery. No major gatherings were held or breaches of public order committed. The police identified one person who flew a drone in a no-fly zone and seized the unmanned aerial vehicle. Police personnel, health officials and officials of the municipality talked to some people about the need to observe the 2+2 rule.
"I thank all residents of Tallinn who heeded the call of the city government and did not go to the monument this year. We have managed to display responsible behavior, thereby demonstrating society's maturity and solidarity. Public gatherings continue to be a risk concerning the spread of coronavirus, therefore we must refrain from undertakings involving a large number of people still for some time," Tallinn Mayor Mihhail Kolvart said in a press release.
"Many thanks also to police and municipal police personnel, workers of he city system and health officials who did explanatory work at Siselinna Cemetery today," the mayor said.
"The majority of people visited the cemetery in family circle and did not stay at the cemetery to assemble with others, but left after the visit made for that specific purpose, which is altogether sensible behavior for preserving of one's own and others' health," Kaido Saarniit, head of the police station for Central Tallinn, said.