Leg and foot massage is an incomparable pleasure, which not only relieves fatigue, leaves leg muscles and the body in tone, but also is a unique relaxing procedure.
Leg and foot massage is a little bit different from, let’s say, back massage. The difference is that foot and leg massage stimulates not only the muscles, which are directly rubbed, but also gives a positive effect on the whole body. And the reason for this is a huge set of reflex points, which are responsible for the state of the body as a whole. For example, there is a huge concentration of points in the arch of the foot, which according to modern reflexology are related to the spine. Therefore, stimulation of this area of the foot can help alleviate pain in the back and bring a general easiness to the body. The stimulation of the toes has a beneficial effect on the eyes, ears, nasal sinus, teeth and gums.
One can write a research paper about the points that are located on the bottom part of the foot, as there are points that correspond to internal organs, the general state of health and even to the mood of the person. The active impact on these points leads to improved overall health and relieves various ailments.
How to massage legs and feet on your own
Of course, a specialist will give you foot massage in a more qualitative way, but frequent visits to specialists require both time and money. So is it possible to massage your legs and feet by yourself?
The simplest way to do that is to walk barefoot on pebbles or mown grass in summer. This provides not only a massaging effect on the foot, but you also get the energy of the earth in its purest form and it will positively affect not only your health, but also your mood.
However, if all that is left of summer is your tan and your memories about it, and white snowflakes are flying outside the window, then there are other ways of self-massage.
Take a small wooden box about the size of 40x40cm, fill it with small smooth rocks (ground by water), peas or beans, so that the bottom is completely covered. Then step into the box barefoot and shift from foot to foot until you feel that the pain from walking on the stones fades away. This massage should last approximately 10 minutes.
To massage your feet, you can also buy special massagers, the purpose of which are to roll the foot on a surface with pimply wheels. It is desirable to put a special foot massage pad in your shower cabin: the shower takes off your stress and this light foot massage has a toning effect on the whole body.
And finally, here are some self-massage techniques for feet at home.
1. Hold the toes with one hand and the ankle with the other, then slowly rotate the foot, first in one direction, then in the other.
2. Push the heel with one hand and push on the back of the foot (nail side) with the other hand in the opposite direction for about 15 seconds, as if squeezing the foot.
3. Hold your thumb and forefinger of one hand on the Achilles tendon (just above the heel) and push down on the foot near the toes with the other hand, so that the heel is stretching.
4. Holding the foot on both sides with both hands, turn it to one side and then to the other side several times.
5. Rub the pads between the bases of the fingers.
6. Pull each toe one by one: for this you should slowly pull two adjacent toes to the sides, stretching the skin between them.
7. Holding the foot with one hand grip each toe with the thumb and forefinger of the other hand, rotate each toe several times and then pull for a few seconds.
8. Pull all the toes at once, holding one hand on the big toe and the other on four other toes. Pull the foot up and shake it.
If there are sore points on the foot or toes, they must be stretched and rubbed more actively, continuing the massage until the pain decreases or disappears completely.
Self massage of feet can help you relax your leg muscles, stimulate blood circulation, relieve pain and improve health in general.